What is a family vacation without a little competition and a whole lot of physical activity? If you have a family of swimmers – which as a Poipu Beach seal, I know a lot about – I have the perfect way for you and your little ones to make your mark on Kauai.
Enter your family into the Hanalei Bay Swim Challenge! This challenge is praised as the only one of its kind on Kauai and one of America’s Top 100 Open Water Swims. Best of all, it is an annual event the entire family can enjoy. Hanalei Bay hosts a swim challenge you won’t soon forget. There are four main events: Pier for 8 years and under; Pier for 12 years and under; 1,000 meter; and 3,000 meter (the latter two are divided into groups based on age). Medals are given out to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners and each child (keiki) who completes the race will receive a ribbon.
Just think, while many families are out lounging around the pool, your family will be engaging with the locals in an exciting swim tournament. This is a great way to expose your children to the local culture while also burning off some energy – a healthy win-win all around.
Date/Time: July 25, 2015
Register here or the day of the race at the race between 7:00 – 8:30 am
- Pier – 8 years & under: Pre-registration: $10
- Pier – 9-12 years old: Pre-registration: $10
- 1000 Meter – 13 years & older: Pre-registration: $40
- 3000 Meter – 13 years & older: Pre-registration: $40
- 7:00 AM Check-in & Day of Race Registration at Hanalei Pier
- 8:30 AM All Registration CLOSED, No exceptions
- 9:55 AM 1000 meter swim9:15 AM Pule (Blessing of Swim Challenge)
- 9:30 AM Staggered Pier Swim for Keiki (Parents may accompany swimmer)
- 9:50 AM 3000 meter swim MAX SWIM TIME TO COMPLETE: 1 hour 30 minutes